General Info for Hikers
Store Hours 8:30-5:00 Mon-Thur and 8:30-6:00 Fri, Sat, Sun
Store hours can change from season to season and on weekends. Call in advance if you need the hours for a specific day.
Phone: (706) 745-6095 Click here for some general info on local hikes.
WHAT WE CARRY
First of all, we carry a lot more in our store than on our website so stop on by or give us a call if you don't see it online. We do our best to carry everything a hiker would need for outings lasting from an hour to eight months! As such we carry a wide variety of outdoor gear and gifts with a special focus on lightweight, ultralight backpacking equipment. We offer the following and more:
- An assortment of backpacks including ULA, Granite Gear, Osprey and more
- Hiking shoes/boots/sandals/socks/great insoles
- Hiking clothes
- Down, wool, and synthetic jackets and thermal layers
- Rain gear
- Stuff sacks, dry sacks
- Hiking poles
- Replacement and repair kits for many brands
- Repair kits for you! (First aid)
- Hydration systems
- Sleeping bags and pads
- Cook systems (stoves/pots/utensils)
- Gas canisters, denatured alcohol, white gas
- Backpacking food including a wide variety of snacks
- Ice cream
- Frozen burgers, biscuits and pizza that you can heat up at the shop
- Electrolyte drinks and powder
- Soda, tea, juices
- Cold sandwiches
- Energy bars and meal replacement bars
- Energy gels
- A.T. Gifts for anyone
- Post Cards
- If you find that you brought too much stuff we are happy to mail it home for you via USPS ground.
- Did you really read all that?
- And a whole lot more! If in doubt call the store: (706) 745-6095
Check out our pantry on Google!
Stay the night with us in our historic building! The Walasi-yi building was completed in 1937, the same year as the Appalachian Trail. Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps as a dining/dance hall and inn it is now a shop and the ground floor of the inn is now our hostel.
Sleep on something soft and dry! Experience real plumbing! At the shop we have a full pantry, ice cream, pizzas and more.
Here's the deets:
- Open 364 Days / 7 days a week (Except Christmas)
- Sorry, no reservations. First come, first in.
- Late arrival? - Don't worry, if there is a bunk you are welcome to walk in and get settled. Simply pay at the shop in the morning.
- HOSTEL RATE: $18.00 per night (including tax)
- Rate Includes bunk, shower, and a towel. Bring your own bedding/sleeping bag.
- Coin Operated Laundry Facilities available on premises ($3 for a wash and dry + soap)
- Shower alone is $4 - Includes towel + soap.
- Sorry but there are absolutely no animals allowed in hostel. Leaving your animal outside while you stay in the hostel is NOT an option.
- If no bunks are available, or if you have a pet, there is free camping available just off of our property. It's 200 yards behind the building on the AT, just beyond the "Raven Cliffs Wilderness" sign. You are welcome to get water from the tap under the bay window on the south side of the shop.
- Camping anywhere on our property is not permitted. This includes behind the hostel and on the lookout.
See ya soon!
Check out the Hostel on Google!
We are happy to hold onto a re-supply box for you at Mountain Crossings.
Just drop it off at our store or mail it to the following address before your hike:
12471 GAINESVILLE HWY
BLAIRSVILLE, GA 30512
INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND E.T.A.
A $1.00 donation upon pick up is appreciated but not necessary.
Questions? Give us a ring (706) 745-6095
Need a shuttle? Give us a ring and we will put you in touch with a locally operating and available shuttle driver. (706) 745-6095
Mountain Crossings does not operate a shuttle and we don't charge for connecting you with a driver. Prices are set by the driver and may vary from shuttle to shuttle or seasonally.
In general we find that it's best to get the shuttle out of the way first and walk toward your parked car. That way you are on your own schedule.
Before you call your driver please have the following information ready:
- Number of people in group
- Number and types of all pets
- Pick up date and time
- Pick up location
- Drop off location
- Your phone number and someone else's in your group
PUTTING US INTO YOUR GPS?
This often does not work so we suggest that you look up Vogel State Park and make a mental note that we are 3 miles south of the park on US-19/US-129.
THE PHYSICAL ADDRESS IS:
12471 Gainesville Hwy
Blairsville, GA 30512
On the A.T. you can find us 30.7 miles north of Springer Mountain or 2154.3 miles south of Mount Kathadin
Broadly speaking we are about 2.5 hours north of Atlanta; 2 hours SE of Chattanooga, TN; 2.5 hours SW of Asheville, NC
More specifically we are:
16 miles south of Blairsville on US-19/US-129
21 miles north of Dahlonega on US-19 (take a left at Turners corner onto 19/129N)
18 miles north of Cleveland GA on GA-11/US129
42 miles north of Gainesville on GA-11/US129
7.5 miles south of Jim's Smokin' Que (The best BBQ around!)